Thursday, November 26, 2009

26/11 and my thoughts...


Almost one year after the Mumbai Terror attacks and it still continues to haunt us. I remember vividly those 3 days. The TV was on almost through the day, with constant updates. Appa would call from office, or we would message him to give him the latest… Facebook status messages were all completely about the terror attack. I kept switching from one news channel to another –trying to find one that would give the best coverage. And at night, we would switch if off, hoping and praying that by the next morning everything would return to normal.

And now, one year on… I guess we should be glad that atleast the trial has commenced. Pakistan as usual, is doing nothing about the situation. Personally, I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that none of our esteemed politicians step in and botch up the situation. We should be glad that atleast now, the NSG, the army and other military, para-military, and security forces are being given the respect and recognition they deserve.

Yesterday’s newspaper carried a series of articles on 26/11. One of these was written by a Canadian therapist. A half-page article, she wrote about how forgiving those terrorists is the first step that we should take. I don’t know how this woman would react if there was such an act in her own backyard. Personally, I agree with forgiveness and not bearing grudges. But that applies only to petty, personal matters – like when my sister doesn’t return borrowed clothes, when a best friend forgets to tell me something, or when I myself make a mistake that I feel bad for. When a bunch of people come to your country, hold a huge number of people hostage in one of the most iconic buildings, and kill hundreds of others, I don’t know how anyone can even consider forgiving them. It may sound immature, but all I want is that the people responsible for this be put behind bars permanently.

Several people –the famous, the wannabe-famous and the not-so-famous have given their views on the terror attack. One of the most outrageous sound bytes was given today, by a Mr. Quereshi, a young Pakistani diplomat-types (I missed the introductions given on the show by Arnab Goswami, of TIMES NOW) The panel was discussing about how things have changed since 26/11 and about how Pakistan has failed to do anything yet.

And Mr.Quereshi said,

What about the 10 Pakistanis killed by your intelligence agencies, on Indian soil during the attack? What about them and what about their rights and their families?”

I’m sorry, but I don’t think I understand what he meant. Were we supposed to greet these terrorists with garlands and make them feel at home?! Or should we have said, ‘Okay! Lets wait for them to finish firing and bring our buildings and people down. After that, we can try to take them into custody’. Needless to say, this immature chap was instantly cut-off by the other panelists and taken off air.

Shobaa De and Mr. Sohail (the guy with the shock of white hair and belligerent attitude) decried the rock concert at Leopold and the candle-lighting ceremonies all over the country. They said that it was mere symbolism, and that we should focus our energies towards accountability in governance. It was rightly answered by one of the survivors.

She said,

"The country is in grief and is mourning a terrible incident. I think we all have the right to gather in crowds and light candles to remember our fellow citizens. The average Indian can do nothing much else, except to perhaps vote a better government to power. But what difference does it make? Each candidate is as bad as the previous. Please tell us what we should do, as normal citizens and we will do it.”

Terrorism seeks to terrorise the country, and to instill in people a fear of the ordinary. (I myself avoided crowds for a while). And the best way for the normal citizen to deal with this is to say, ‘I don’t care if you’re bombing my cities, I will still live. I will gather in crowds to pay homage and respect to those who saved us and died, and I will continue to celebrate the fighting spirit of this country.’

It is for people like Mr.Sohail and Mrs.De, people who have publicity and chances to be on these panel discussions, to really go up there for a discussion with our politicians and ask them, ‘What have you done so far?’. We can only submit petitions, and maybe hold demonstrations… and who knows how effective these will be?

Its been one year now and little progress has been made. But let us hope, that atleast the coming year is peaceful.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 28, 2009 at 11:45 PM , Blogger vignesh said...

Your blog looks good!! Keep bloggin!!

 
At February 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM , Blogger Ashwin said...

Woah! I hadn't seen this post, I think. That's quite some passionate writing, there. The saddest thing to see is that everyone wants a piece of the limelight and the best way to get it appears to be thro' the blame-game.

Your post gave some food for thought - about the rights of these terrorists. One who has taken away the life of another should not demand that he/she be allowed to enjoy his/her fundamental rights. Imagine the case where all the effort one has put in life to build a future for himself/herself and his/her family, all those dreams and aspirations just vaporizing the moment some mentally-ill terrorist with irrational thoughts and beliefs puts a bullet through his/her body!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home